oil pan "kit?"
N8N
2008-12-19 16:22:21 UTC
Does anyone make a kit to weld on to the bottom of an existing oil pan
to turn it into a higher capacity pan? reason I ask is this, I have a
'55 Stude with an engine in it built to '63 Avanti specs, I have an
original R1/R2 oil pan, but it was well used. I thought I had brazed
up all the holes in the bottom of it before I installed it but I must
have missed a couple. These pans are pretty scarce on the ground and
it seems that the only way to really repair it would be to get a
standard Stude V-8 oil pan and cut the bottom off it, then weld it to
the pan that I have (because I don't want to lose the baffles, hole/
captive nuts for crank breather tube, etc.) rather than do that does
someone make a kit to replace just the sump of an existing pan with a
fabricated thing with kickouts like the racing pans sold by Milodon,
Moroso, etc.? or am I on my own for fabbing something like that?

thanks,

Nate
Steve W.
2008-12-19 18:09:54 UTC
Post by N8N
[...]
Buy a small block pan expansion kit and trim it to fit.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
N8N
2008-12-19 20:21:28 UTC
Post by Steve W.
Post by N8N
[...]
I assume we're talking about the same thing, but who sells one? All
I'm coming up with from a quick web search is complete pans.

nate
Steve W.
2008-12-21 04:45:02 UTC
Post by N8N
Post by Steve W.
Post by N8N
[...]
Look at some of the outfits that cater to circle track racing. I think
the last weld up unit I bought came from Champ.
Probably the lowest cost option would be to buy a SBC pan and cut the
bottom off. That way you get the channels and gates to keep the oil
where you want it.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Steve Austin
2008-12-22 13:19:51 UTC
Post by Steve W.
Post by N8N
Post by Steve W.
Post by N8N
[...]
Make friends with some circle track racers. Cut one of their bashed up
oil pans apart. Live close to northern NY?

HLS
2008-12-19 21:48:37 UTC
Post by N8N
Does anyone make a kit to weld on to the bottom of an existing oil pan
to turn it into a higher capacity pan?
I have seen these welded up from plate, using the upper part of the pan, and
the bottom of the same or similar pan, as in "end caps".

Essentially four plates and four rolled corners are about all that are
needed,
plus a deft hand with a TIG unit.

I have not seen the kits that Steve W. refers to, but if he says it, I know
they
exist.
N8N
2008-12-19 21:55:07 UTC
Post by HLS
Post by N8N
Does anyone make a kit to weld on to the bottom of an existing oil pan
to turn it into a higher capacity pan?
I have seen these welded up from plate, using the upper part of the pan, and
the bottom of the same or similar pan, as in "end caps".
Essentially four plates and four rolled corners are about all that are
needed,
plus a deft hand with a TIG unit.
I have not seen the kits that Steve W. refers to, but if he says it, I know
they
exist.
I see what you're saying, but I don't want to make the pan deeper, but
wider. Ground clearance, ya know. If I wanted to follow your
suggestion I could just cut 'n' weld two pans, just making the cuts in
different places *but* then I'd have to fab a new pickup and also I
would lose however much ground clearance as I made the pan deeper. I
have a feeling that I'm going to want to dump the front end at some
point, so no sense making the oil pan even lower than it already is...

nate
HLS
2008-12-19 22:32:29 UTC
"N8N" <***@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:a7c8d1fa-ac51-429b-a5c7-

I see what you're saying, but I don't want to make the pan deeper, but
wider. Ground clearance, ya know. If I wanted to follow your
suggestion I could just cut 'n' weld two pans, just making the cuts in
different places *but* then I'd have to fab a new pickup and also I
would lose however much ground clearance as I made the pan deeper. I
have a feeling that I'm going to want to dump the front end at some
point, so no sense making the oil pan even lower than it already is...

nate

****
Well, there are a number of ways to look at this.. You can fabricate, rather
easily, a pan that can fill just about any of your needs. You can make it
wider,
deeper, whatever.

You may have to spend some time at the junkyard looking for acceptable donor
pans.

You can extend your pickup tube, or just keep it under liquid at all times.
(OR you can go dry sump if you really want a project).

Best wishes