Anyone ever redrill a Fuchs wheel?
N8N
2009-04-18 12:52:13 UTC
Have a chance to buy some Fuchs replicas (typical Porsche 5-spoke,
black centers) for an excellent price, was thinking they would look
awesome on my '55 coupe. (of course I already have two sets of
wheels, but that's irrelevant.) Problem is my car is 5 on
4.5" (114.3mm) and Porsche uses 5 on 130mm. Has anyone tried to have
the bolt pattern either welded up and redrilled, or else unilugged?
Or is this simply impossible because the holes are too close to the
center of the wheel? I do have good wheel shops nearby; if this is
possible I bet they could do it.

Hubcentricity is not an issue, as the stock Stude wheels weren't,
either.

nate
Hachiroku ハチロク
I'd look for an adapter, although I don't like them...
N8N
2009-04-18 17:00:04 UTC
Post by Hachiroku ハチロク
Post by N8N
Have a chance to buy some Fuchs replicas (typical Porsche 5-spoke,
black centers) for an excellent price, was thinking they would look
awesome on my '55 coupe. (of course I already have two sets of
wheels, but that's irrelevant.) Problem is my car is 5 on
4.5" (114.3mm) and Porsche uses 5 on 130mm. Has anyone tried to have
the bolt pattern either welded up and redrilled, or else unilugged?
Or is this simply impossible because the holes are too close to the
center of the wheel? I do have good wheel shops nearby; if this is
possible I bet they could do it.
Hubcentricity is not an issue, as the stock Stude wheels weren't,
either.
nate
I'd look for an adapter, although I don't like them...
I don't think that's possible, the car in question is pushing the
limits of fenderwell space with a 15x7" wheel, and the offset of the
Fuchs is about the same as the wheels I'm currently using. (stock
wheels are 15x5" for 6.70-15 tires; they didn't anticipate someone
would try to stuff 235s under the front of the car 55 years ago! <G>)

Now I probably could use adapters to fit *later* Porsche wheels with a
58mm offset... but they wouldn't be Fuchs, which is really the look
I'm going for (black centers, polished alloy lip, lots of lip showing
outside the centers for that badass deep dish look)

I do have a set of 15x6" Halibrand 5-spokes that I could repaint (but
they're practically brand new!) but I just thought that Fuchs would
give the car that "what the heck is THAT? that's cool!" effect.

nate
Hachiroku ハチロク
2009-04-18 20:30:53 UTC
Post by N8N
[...]