Shop organization - fastener ideas
AWN
2008-01-15 01:50:10 UTC
I was wondering if any of you have any good ideas for organizing fasteners
and small parts, etc. in one of those large wall units with zillions of
bins? I picked maybe 100 of the bins with framed wall mounts up from a
local retailer for a smile and I want to get my shop more functional.

Do you organize your fasteners according to exactly what they are or do yo
organize them by composition, length, diameter, thread pitch?? I'm
curious... I also have a zillion auto parts like sensors, spark plugs,
relays, bulbs, etc. Do you organize these by vehicle, by part?? I'm
curious as to what you find works best...

Thanks,
Andrew.
Nate Nagel
2008-01-15 02:04:04 UTC
Post by AWN
I was wondering if any of you have any good ideas for organizing fasteners
and small parts, etc. in one of those large wall units with zillions of
bins? I picked maybe 100 of the bins with framed wall mounts up from a
local retailer for a smile and I want to get my shop more functional.
Do you organize your fasteners according to exactly what they are or do yo
organize them by composition, length, diameter, thread pitch?? I'm
curious... I also have a zillion auto parts like sensors, spark plugs,
relays, bulbs, etc. Do you organize these by vehicle, by part?? I'm
curious as to what you find works best...
Thanks,
Andrew.
Bolts I order horizontally by length and vertically by size. fine
thread on the left, coarse on the right, and on the far right washers
and nuts. I actually don't have my own stuff well organized yet but a
friend of mine was able to get a pik-a-nut display from a parts store
going out of business, IMHO that is the ideal setup for organizing
hardware because the little shelves are the right size for just shoving
the pik-a-nut boxes on there without having to transfer the hdwe. into
little drawers or whatever.

Light bulbs end up all getting tossed into the same bin, but I do keep
6V and 12V separated. Don't know if that helps any, but that's what I do.

nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
AWN
2008-01-15 02:17:54 UTC
Nate,

Thanks and yes it does help. If you ever feel the urge to snap off a pic,
I'd be interested in seeing your setup (whether or not you think it's
organized or not is irrelevant to me because I am much worse off than most).
I have the space but I need the system...

Thanks,
Andrew.