Borg-Warner T-10 question
N8N
2008-09-14 18:56:01 UTC
Hi all,

does anyone make a conversion kit to convert the tailshaft of a B-W
T-10 (not super) from a slip yoke to a fixed yoke? I am running a
T-10 in my '55 Studebaker coupe which originally came with a T-86 with
fixed yoke and 2-piece driveshaft. someone cut the center driveshaft
support crossmember out of the car before I got it. It was OK with
the 289/auto that came with the car but I decided I wanted a different
drivetrain, now I have an Avanti R1 engine with T-10 behind it and
even with a custom 2-3/4" driveshaft (which really is pushing it in
terms of diameter/length) I'm getting some crunching on heavy
acceleration and going over speed humps. I do have HD springs but not
traction bars. I have a stock uncut crossmember and a complete
driveshaft from a '57 Golden Hawk, if I could convert my T-10 to a
fixed yoke I could just have a custom front driveshaft section made
and everything from the X-member back would be as factory.

Or does anyone have a Studebaker-spec T-85 with overdrive laying
around that they want to donate to the cause? Not only do a 4-speed
and 3.73 gears do not relaxed highway crusing allow but I already have
everything except the shift rods to make that a bolt in.

On the upside, I finally got the darn thing running right and other
than a little smoke and the abovementioned issues it's actually
driving like a real car. It's about 90 degrees outside and water temp
is still about 180-185ish (180 stat in car.) this is on a not yet
broken in engine so I am happy. Driver was overheating (no interior
in car other than seats, A/C at this point is only a compressor and
brackets) car wasn't :)

thanks

nate
John Kunkel
2008-09-15 20:34:21 UTC
Post by N8N
[...]
Since the front shaft is held captive by the center support wouldn't a slip
yoke work just as well as a fixed yoke on the tail of the trans?
N8N
2008-09-15 23:33:43 UTC
Post by John Kunkel
Post by N8N
[...]
Maybe... I know of one guy that did just that and as far as I know he
didn't have a problem with it. It just seemed like a fixed yoke was
the "right" way to do it.

nate