FFR Kit
SSIII
2007-11-20 17:05:51 UTC
I have been looking at a cobra kit from Factory Five Racing, and wish
to buy one in the future, any advice on the construction and
difficulty of the project?
Just another guy
2007-11-22 04:17:17 UTC
Here's a buddy I know who's in the middle of completing his FFR kit. It is a
beauty.

http://tinyurl.com/36nmxf
***@wahoo.org
Refinish King

Just another guy
***@wahoo.org
Refinish King
2007-11-23 04:41:53 UTC
A TIG welder is a little arc torch:

It will weld aluminum, at a lower temperature than a MIG or gas welder.

You can virtually run a bead to seal the whole seam.

RK
Just another guy
2007-11-23 23:32:17 UTC
Thanks I know what a TIG is but why the reference at all? We're talking
kitcars and posted a link to a friend's kitcar and his build. Maybe you're
referring to his pop riveting the panels together?
***@wahoo.org
Refinish King
2007-11-24 02:31:19 UTC
Maybe I misquoted someone?

I thought someone was complaining about having to do all that rivetiting.

Sorry if I was misunderstood.

RK

PS
Just another guy
2007-11-24 05:29:30 UTC
Good point on welding instead of riveting. I hadn't thought about it before.
Can you build a FFR Cobra by TIG instead of rivets? The rivet pattern does
criss-cross the panels.

It looks pretty impressive with all those rivets. The website does seem to
complain about sore wrists from riveting the panels together. I would
purchase an air riveter after seeing how many rivets you have to do.

Which kitcar did you build?
***@wahoo.org
.boB
2007-11-24 16:04:29 UTC
Post by Just another guy
Good point on welding instead of riveting. I hadn't thought about it before.
Can you build a FFR Cobra by TIG instead of rivets? The rivet pattern does
criss-cross the panels.
Not really. The rivets mostly hold aluminum panels
to a steel frame. There are some seams, but welding
after riveting seems pointless to me.
Post by Just another guy
It looks pretty impressive with all those rivets. The website does seem to
complain about sore wrists from riveting the panels together. I would
purchase an air riveter after seeing how many rivets you have to do.
I purchased an air river from Harbor Freight.
Cheap, but it worked fine. After I was "done" with the
build, I sold it to someone else.
--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod
1965 FFR Cobra - 427W EFI, Damn Fast.
.boB
2007-11-22 17:18:52 UTC
Post by SSIII
I have been looking at a cobra kit from Factory Five Racing, and wish
to buy one in the future, any advice on the construction and
difficulty of the project?
The basic kit is very easy to install. No special
tools needed, just the basic auto mechanics stuff.
Of course, the more "options" you choose, the more
complicated it gets.

check out www.ffcobra.com