Any way to refurbish cushion exterior of steering wheel?
Doc
2007-11-20 00:57:51 UTC
I've got an '89 Toyota Cressida, and the cushion foam material that
covers the steering wheel has gotten soft/saggy & cracked where there
has been the most hand contact.

Is there some way to refurbish this other buying another steering
wheel? I don't even want to know how much one would be from Toyota.
Wondered if there was some foam replacement kit or the like.

Thanks
Nate Nagel
2007-11-20 01:02:34 UTC
Post by Doc
I've got an '89 Toyota Cressida, and the cushion foam material that
covers the steering wheel has gotten soft/saggy & cracked where there
has been the most hand contact.
Is there some way to refurbish this other buying another steering
wheel? I don't even want to know how much one would be from Toyota.
Wondered if there was some foam replacement kit or the like.
Thanks
DAGS for "wheelskins" - maybe one of those, with some judicious
repadding, might get you another couple years without looking too awful?

I'll be putting one on my next company car as soon as I get it - my
current one is only two years old and the vinyl on the steering wheel is
completely worn through where my hands naturally sit.

nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Ad absurdum per aspera
2007-11-20 02:32:41 UTC
I think you can still get quality leather kits that lace up. They
come in a variety of plausible colors and look pretty good. You'll
spend a fair bit of a rainy afternoon in the garage the first time you
do one, as with many repairs, but reading the instructions (which if
memory serves include several options for lacing style and dealing
with spokes), visualizing, and taking your time should yield good
results.

I've never fixed a modern squooshy vinyl-over-thick-padding wheel, and
hopefully somebody who has done so will chime in.

There are general leather and vinyl repair kits that you might want
to try, though I think they are mostly meant for flattish and/or
relatively nonmoving surfaces, like dashboards or seats or door
panels, and the combination of tight curves and constant handling on a
steering wheel might challenge them (or maybe not feel so good to the
hands).

Cheers,
--Joe

Mike
2007-11-20 02:08:15 UTC
Post by Doc
I've got an '89 Toyota Cressida, and the cushion foam material that
covers the steering wheel has gotten soft/saggy & cracked where there
has been the most hand contact.
Is there some way to refurbish this other buying another steering
wheel? I don't even want to know how much one would be from Toyota.
Wondered if there was some foam replacement kit or the like.
Thanks
You might want to try a wrecking yard. If you search around I think you will
find one for a fair price.