My Introductory Post
gbowne1
2007-03-29 07:21:52 UTC
Hello all,

I'm thinking about designing and building this car, which I think
would be very cool. Here are some basics on it. I have some plans in
mind for what I would like to build. Here's a kind of list of the
things I would like to include. Can someone reply with comments on
what would work well with this combination?

The basic car:

Engine: GM 350 Small Block (maybe LT1) (originally thought about 305
or 383)
Transmission: TH350 Auto Trans
Chassis: Custom Built using 2"x4"x 0.250" chassis tubing
Rear End: 3.08:1 GM 10 bolt rear w/Posi (could also be 8 or 9" Ford 28
or 31 spline)
Wheels: 15x7's Front & Rear
Tires: Michelin 195/75R15's.
Wheelbase: 113"
Body: 4dr Sedan
Steering: Power Steering, Flaming River Joints, Ididit Column, Flaming
River Rack,
Brakes:
Type: Front Disc / Rear Drum
Mfg: OEM/GM or Wilwood or Raybestos (maybe Superlite or Dynalite??)
Size: 11" up
Exhaust: Flowmaster Delta 40 or 50 series, 2 ¼" or 2 ½" size?
Suspension: Mustang II IFS, maybe Heidts or Fatmans
ECM/ECU: General Motors (those made after 1987 to 1992?) sounds like
#1227727, 7730 and 7747 all work.
Ignition: HEI using MSD 6A or 6AL
Gauges: VDO Cockpit Black
Fuel: TBI or TPI? MAP or MAF? Rochester Q-Jet 4MV/M4MV/E4M (for
carbs?)
Fuel Tank Cap: 18 gal custom made
Sound System: Pioneer KEH-P4020 w/ 4 or 5" Front's 6x9 Rear by
Infiniti Kappa
Filtration: K&N E-1650 14" filter ??
Intake: Edelbrock Performer, i.e. #2101 or #3101
Cooling: couldn't settle on a brand.. US Radiatior, Modine, Walker,
Griffin, etc?
Fan: SPAL 14 or 16"??
Paint: an interesting Red color called "Rosso Red" (Boyd Red is too
expensive for me!)
Seating: Recaro? Rear Bench. Heated Ft. seats? Power Seats?

Oh yeah, and I have a Saginaw 4spd Casting #3915032. The tailshaft is
#3880042 or 3860042. The casting of the # isn't very clear. I have a
TH350 from craigslist I got for $75. Someone had it on their '75
Camaro project. It needs some work but could be usable.

I'd like it to be able to handle 170mph, possibly up to 3200 rpm @ 60
or 65mph. Not that I'd drive that fast.. under 85 is the norm here..
any faster and you'd get busted. I'm not a track driver or street
racer either. LoL.

I got other ideas but these are the basics. I have plans on what I'm
putting in whatever engine I buy. I had a text file with a list of
oddball parts that might go in the project. Need help with sorting
out the details.. I'm a newbie! I don't wanna come off sounding like
a troller for information.. but I'd like to get more ideas here.

Thanks in advance. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Greg B.
Seattle, WA
***@1enwobg (backwards!)
djdave
2007-03-29 13:33:18 UTC
cooke cutter.

sorry to be on the neg.

I like the oddballs. Change that 350 to a chev. 302 or 409 and I
awaken.

401 gremlin owner
Eugene Blanchard
2007-03-30 03:14:42 UTC
Post by djdave
cooke cutter.
sorry to be on the neg.
I like the oddballs. Change that 350 to a chev. 302 or 409 and I
awaken.
401 gremlin owner
That's true but for a first project, I would stick with something that is
simple and inexpensive to build. KISS is my motto (from experience -
unfortunately my own!)

Do you have any pictures of your 401 Gremlin? That must go like a bat out of
hell! Those AMC engines were very underestimated by the competition and
produce amazing amounts of power!
--
Eugene Blanchard
http://www.catsasskustoms.com
News for Motorheads
gbowne1
2007-03-30 23:36:50 UTC
Yes, I knew this would be a sort of cookie cutter type project. But,
I wanted to take that idea and make it my own.
I hadn't yet decided on a body.. I thought of something like a 1940
Chevrolet in size. I do know a few people that I know very well that
could make me any sheet metal panels at cost.

I also thought about a 383 in there. I saw an article during 2006
which even included part numbers on building one.
I forget which magainze it was.

Greg
djdave
2007-03-31 15:25:14 UTC
No pics worth posting. It is in its early stages of a 2 to 3 year
project. AMCs are so hard to restore, because of the unibody design.
The car currently has a 304 with 998 trans, but found a 401
unassembled up in new york state for a grand. Its sitting in one of my
garages.
The car was a calif. car and sat in ND for the last 20 years. I drove
from PA to ND and towed it back.

I had a gremlin with a 360 as a kid (im 38) and can now afford to
build this one the way i wanted to do as a kid. I always wanted shaved
door handles, a gear drive, and lots of other lil changes that will
make it a (one of a kind) gremlin.

Malibu81
2007-05-16 07:01:52 UTC
Post by gbowne1
[...]
Sounds like its gonna be fun whatever you decide to do, im kind of a
fan of my sbc 406's to be honest w/ya i run one in my 81 malibu 475hp
fairly cheap to build and torque like you wouldnt believe. whats the
car mainly going to be used for?